Black Betty



Another brew day has come and gone. The brewing process itself ran smoothly. You ever have one of those days where you can’t get out of your own way? That was me yesterday. I’m lucky I didn’t mess up the batch or worse yet, spill 7 gallons of boiling wort all over myself. I think I must have knocked everything down at some point. But I survived and so did the Black Betty Oaked Bourbon Porter. That name was given to her by a dear friend of Atomic Donkey Brewing. As of now it is just a nice Robust Porter in the making. Another 3 weeks or so and the bourbon soaked oak chips will be going in.

We ended up with a little over 84% brewhouse efficiency. Obviously we were very happy with this. The SG hit 1.06 which is in the ballpark of what we were aiming for. The color is a nice dark brown to almost black with a terrific smell. Pitched the yeast around 5 pm yesterday and as of 6 this morning the airlock was bubbling away.

All in all this was a fun beer to make. We can’t wait to get the oak chips in and see how this thing turns out. I believe we are going to be very proud of this one. Hope everyone’s weekend went as well as ours. Take care of each other and yourselves. CHEERS!