Mule of the Month: Southern Tier



Each month we here at Atomic Donkey Brewing will be focusing on a different brewery and every Thursday we will review a different creation from said brewery. This week we will take a look at Southern Tiers Imperial Oatmeal Stout. This was one of the few Southern Tier brews that I had not tried yet. My wife and I opened this last night. This brew appears as a dark, thick, slightly syrupy Oatmeal Stout. This is what an Oatmeal Stout should look like. At first it had the taste of a good basic Oatmeal Stout. Chocolately malt, with a slight hint of coffee. A second later you get the idea of why it’s an Imperial. Personally I thought I could taste a hint of alcohol in the finish. Not to say that this is a bad thing. The wife described it as a crisp finish. T each their own.

This brew sits at an impressive 10.8% abv. Some of the batches have come out as high as 11%. It seems that with Imperials there is often a lot of carbonation. Not with this brew. It was just the right amount. This is a full body brew for people that enjoy more complexity in their beer. I am a huge fan of this style of beer. Once again Southern Tier has made a beer that I would describe as one of the best of its kind. If you can find it, pick it up and give it a try. You will not be disappointed.